Located halfway between Alba and Asti, 301 meters above sea level, Govone covers the last eastern edge of the Roero, borders with Monferrato and, just across the Tanaro river, with the first hills of Langhe.
The old historical center is gathered around the historic castle, medieval fortress rebuilt in the eighteenth century to become a magnificent Savoy residence, surrounded by a vast park and a scenic Italian garden.
The Govone Castle, which dominates the village and the wide valley of the river Tanaro, has always been the fulcrum of the entire life of the village. Built before the year 1000 on the highest hill, then rebuilt in its present form in the seventeenth century for the Count Solaro, by the drawings of architects Guarino Guarini, Filippo Juvarra and Benedetto Alfieri. After the death in 1792 of the last Count Solaro, without heirs, the castle passed to the Crown of Savoy. The current Baroque palace, surrounded by a garden and a large park, restored in the twenties of the nineteenth century by the will of Savoy House, became the favorite summer residence by the King of Sardinia, Carlo Felice and his wife Maria Cristina of Borbone. It now houses the municipal administration and it’s one of the Piedmont Savoy residences listed as a UNESCO world heritage. It can be visited every Sunday from late March to late October.
More info at http://www.castellorealedigovone.it/
The natural landscape is very green, almost entirely characterized by gently rolling hills covered with vineyards. A good network of paths and secondary roads allows pleasant excursions into the most peaceful valleys of the village and access to valuable viewpoints on Tanaro and the hills of the Langhe, Monferrato and Roero.